Saturday, January 8, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Sunday, January 9th

Hello Dear Readers,

So today I had to work super early in the morning. I had to be there at 7. So I did all of this last night. I did not see any shows either. I went to an art opening at Together Gallery. I t was cool a lot of piece for a show called the Family Quilt. There did end up being a drone piece by that dude from White Hinterland and one of the artists It was cool, but I cut out early to write this thing. Here are the shows that look good to me:

Lounge is having a show with Soap Collectors, Alameda, and Plum Sutra Trio. What is the link that ties all of these bands together? Besides the obvious that they are all Portland bands. They all have members that work at The Original a newish restaurant here in Portland. I am not familiar with most of these bands except for Alameda. They I have seen before and I liked their first release, The Floating Hospital. Recently Sterling (leader of Alameda) sent me their recently finished album, Seasons/Spectres. It sounds great. This might because it was recorded by Skyler Norwood at Miracle Lake. He is the guy who also recorded that other band that has a string section with acoustic guitars (Horse Feathers). I am unsure if the album will be available tonight or not. You should check out the show just in case. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

Rontoms is having a show with Soft Tags and Archers. I have been a supporter of The Soft Tags for a long time. They are great and have consistently self released great records. I seem to always forget how good they are. It is a perfect blend of lo-fi aesthetics brit-pop and shoegaze. I love it. I still have not seen Archers, but I think I really want to. There has been a lot of talk about their 4 song 7" (which I desperately need to get). I am in love with their song "Door to All Marvels". They sound like 90's band or something. Don't listen to me. I don't know what I'm saying. Listen to Archers. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

East End is having a Kitty Kat benefit show with Billions and Billions, Swim Swam Swum, Drag Queen, Gorilla Monsoon, and The Messy Jacksons. Billions & Billions canceled their slot at Someday Lounge to play this benefit. Kudos for them. They love cats more than ummm...that other show. They paly prog-psych rock. I really like Swim Swam Swum and their classic indie rock sound. The Messy Jacksons sound messy. They remind me of sloppy punk folk band or maybe just a sloppy folk band. Not really that sloppy on second listen. The show is a $6 sliding scale and the show starts at 9 PM (this is the first time I have ever had details on the price or time of a show at East End).

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". I would be much obliged.

-Ben


Archers are probably going to kill it tonight at Rontoms

No comments: