Thursday, January 27, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Thursday, January 27th

Hello Dear Readers,

Last night I had Y La Bamba practice for the first time in over a month. It felt good to play music with them. But it also made me feel very tired. When I got home at 10, I decided that I was not going to leave the house again. Besides, at that point I had already missed the one act I really wanted to see that night, Padriac Finbar Hagerty-Hammond. Anyways, here are some shows that look good to me tonight:

Holocene is having the Into the Woods Anniversary show with Tu Fawning, Skeletron, And And And, Guantanamo Baywatch, and DJ Snakks. Into the Woods is only a year old? That is crazy to me. It feels like they have been around forever. That is probably because they have put out enought videos to feel like they have been around forever. They work at a dizzying pace. And incase you didn't know they have started a Kickstarter page where you can actually get a ticket for this show. What about the bands? Well... Tu Fawning is the closest thing that you can get to a 31 Knots show these days. I sorely miss that band but understand his wanting to pursue this project. Skeletron one of the offshoots of Starfucker (the other being Fake Drugs). It, to me, sounds like Starfucker. Which is to say really dancey and poppy. And And And are high energy and super fun and umm...indie rock. Guantanamo Baywatch is surf punk. That honestly leans a little more punk. DJ Snakks is Zach from Breakfast Mountain. The show is $5 and starts at 8:30 PM.

The Alberta Rose Theater is having a show with Celilo, John Heart Jackie, and Duover. Hello Americana/Folk-pop/Indie-folk people. This is a show for you. Celilo can rock the folk out with the best of them. John Heart Jackie are a bit more gentle and make great use of female male harmonies and acoustic instruments. Duover to do the same but have a poppier vibe to them. Overall, if you like any or all of those genres I mentioned, you will love this show. If the thought of some damn folky hippies with their damn acoustic guitars makes you want to hurt someone, please do not go to this show. Not that they are damn hippies, but seriously if you want to hurt someone you shouldn't be going out at all. The show is $8 and starts at 9 PM.

Plan B is having a show with X-Ray Press, Microtia, and The Jezebel Spirit. You can get the Jezebel Spirit album and some EPs for FREE at their bandcamp. Okay, here is the deal: I was pretty sure that at least two of these bands had broken up. The last time AristeiA (which I am pretty sure is broken up) played in Seattle, we played with X-Ray Press who said that it was their last show. Also I swear last week someone told me that Jezebel Spririt broke up. what gives? Both of these bands are pretty awesome and kinda mathy or proggy or whatever. AristeiA also played a show with both of these bands a long long time ago. It was super fun. I haven't heard anything from Microtia in a long time. I remember them being loud the entire time. If you are into that sort of thing check it out. The show is at 8 PM.

Ella Street Social Club is having a show with Blind Bartimaeus, Autopilot is for Lovers, and Honeybear (Calgery, Canada). I don't know these bands save Autopilot is for Lovers. Who are great. Also I don't know what kind of line up they are currently working with. But it always centers around the accordion, piano, or guitar of Adrienne Hatkin and her very distinct voice. You will love it or hate it. Blind Bartimaeus sounds to me folky. I could be wrong. They list blues and gospel as their sound. I could maybe see that. It sounds sad and acoustic. Honeybear makes kinda moody folk pop. The show is $5 and starts at 9:30 PM.

Mississippi Studios is having a show with Led to Sea (Seattle), Solvents (Port Townsend,WA), and Nick Caceres. You might recognize Alex Guy from Led to Sea as also being in Laura Veirs band. That is because, yeah, she is in both bands. As a well accomplished violist/violinist she is capable of some beautiful sounds. Especially when she involves a lopping pedal. So I listened to a bit of the solvents and were going to say that they are a acoustic pop band, when I heard the last song on their myspace player I was proven wrong. That one has a lot of eclectic guitar. So I guess they are an indie pop band instead. Nick Caceres is the main dude in the Tender Loving Empire band Gatitillium. He doesn't seem to play under his own name so much anymore. He is folk pop. That is to say his songs are wordy and mostly played on an acoustic guitar. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". I would thank you kindly, to do so.

-Ben


Into the Woods shot this video. This band is playing their anniversary show tonight at Holocene!

No comments: