Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Tuesday, January 25th

Hello Dear Readers,

I know that you probably think that I took the day off yesterday. But check it out. There really just weren't any shows that I thought were good enough to mention. I am not in the habit of writing about shows that I don't have any interest in. The only bad part of not writing yesterday was that I didn't get a chance to talk about the show I saw on Sunday. Hosannas are so good. Any ways, here are the shows that look good to me:

The Woods is having a show with Eliza Rickman (LA), Shenandoah Davis, Grey Anne, and Sam Cooper. I have written about Eliza Rickman before. I don't know when, but it must mean that she played with a local that I liked. I do not remember who it was. I do remember her music though. If anything because of all the songs played on the toy piano (she can also play a real piano well) and the really nice string arrangements. I imagine that she is really good live. I have also written about Shenandoah. She is great. She has a great voice and has a mastery of the piano. She also usually has pretty strings as well. Grey Anne is the musical outlet for Anne Adams. She has a knack for writing good songs with good arrangement. She also has the ability to perform them in an engaging fashion often with just a guitar and looping pedal (she is really good at the looping pedal). Plus her shows are entertaining. She makes sure of that. She has sets, props, and well…puts on a show. Sam Cooper is a great songwriter who's performances are nuanced by his awkward stage presence and tendency to have stories about his songs. You probably have seen him in that band, Horse Feathers where he plays like five instruments. I think he is only playing a few tonight. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

Bunk Bar is having a show with Lewi Longmire Band and Duover. Lewi Longmire is around. He is around town, he is playing music, he is doing his thing. As a person who is constantly checking music listings, I can assure you he is. I probably see his name more than anyone else in town. He plays country. Kinda. Country rock s probably more accurate. The main reason I am writing about this show is because of Duover. They are a acoustic duo that are way better than most acoustic duos will ever be. Just give them a listen. You have probably heard Nathan Jr. playing around town. He is good. And his voice blends so well with Rebecca Rasmussen. They have an understanding of acoustic pop like you wouldn't believe. The show is FREE and starts at 10 PM.

Valentine's is a show with Soft Metals, Jeffrey Jerusalem, and Suzanne Kraft. You will be dancing if you go to this show. Soft Metals do electro pop music that is really heavy on the electro. I like it. Jeffrey Jerusalem is the one man disco party. And not in the way a DJ is. He makes all the music that incorporates live looping and laptops and fun. HE has a remix CD of a bunch of locals out on Laser Cave. You should check it out. Suzanne Kraft is a dude that makes chilled out electronic music. He has a limited CD-R out on Discotheque Records. Also on the website you can find a monthly mix that Suzanne puts out. Just check the Mixes tab. You can also find something called The Suzanne Kraft Magic Hour mixes over at Dublab.com. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.
If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". You know you want to.

-Ben


Look at this film about Grey Anne I found. She is playing tonight at The Woods!

2 comments:

Hannah said...

lewi and duover are at bunkbar not barbar tonight

Ben Meyercord said...

Ha. I fixed it. I was testing you.