Sunday, January 23, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Sunday, January 23rd

Hello Dear Readers,

The last few days I took off fro blogging. I had a birthday and some company in town and left my laptop at home today. But I am back to my regular schedule. I may even make it out to a show tonight (I have not seen a show in a week). Any ways, here are the shows that look good to me:

Rontoms is having a show with Hosannas and Winnie Byrd (Oakland). Hosannas has had some changes in the past several months. They are now a two piece of Brandon and Richard Law. I have seen them twice in this configuration and have enjoyed it though it is different. They had to write an entirely new set to play. I think that they have enough to record again, but don't know their plans. Regardless, I think they are great and a testament of what two talented people can accomplish. Winnie Byrd is a band that has a trove of happy sounding pop tunes. It makes me feel good just listening to them. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Valentine's is having a show with Dash!, Pregnant, Cruiser, Zac Nelson (Hexlove), and Rob Walmart. Everytime I have seen Dash! I have been impressed. He plays violin and loops and layers it through a series of guitar pedals. It sounds huge and beautiful and impressive. I suggest you check him out if you can. Cruiser sounds insane and spazzy yet controlled. Think early Hella. Zac Nelson has put out ambient leaning pieces under the name Hexlove. I find them to best experienced as something to wash over you in a soothing way. Rob Walmart on the other hand will probably make you bob your head. They do live electronics in the truest since of the word. They also sometimes do spoken word on top. Story telling and rambling. You never really know what you are going to get with them. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi". That'd be pretty cool.

-Ben


Hosannas will be playing at Rontoms tonight!

No comments: