Saturday, January 8, 2011

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for Saturday, January 8th

Hello Dear Readers,

I am at a loss for words. Why have I seemingly been unable to break my winter hibernation mode? I think I need your help. Make me go to shows. Harass me until I do. That being said I do NOT want to go out tonight. I have to work at 7 in the F'in morning and walk around in the F'n cold (F'in is short for Freaking). Anyway here are the shows that look good to me happening tonight:

Hungry Tiger Too is having a show with Youth, Leo Charles Gelbhart IV (Seattle), and Orca Team. Charles Leo Gebhardt IV is a mouthful of a name. I am not sure if it is real or not, but I know that the melodies of his songs are real good. He put out a record last month and will probably playing lots of songs of it. Orca Team is why I am writing about this show. I still have not seen them yet. I love the their take on pop music. It sounds great. The show might cost some money and starts at sometime PM (I am not sure how Hungry Tiger Too does their shows).

Press Club is having a show with Afterlife Revival and Y La Bamba (kinda). I think that Afterlife Revival has something to do with local artist Evan B. Harris. I seen shows listed for E.B. Harris and the Afterlife Revival. Luzelena Mendoza and Paul Cameron both of Y La Bamba are going to be playing some songs as a duo. The songs work really well when they are stripped down. Just saying. The show is FREE and starts at 8:30 PM.

The Knife Shop is having a show with New Century Schoolbook, Stories for Money, and Transistors & Brothers. New Century Schoolbook is a indie pop band that is great. I have played with them before. I have their first album. I think it is solid. Plus it features CIMTB contributor Amber Dawn. Stories For Money is a rock band. They have a name that pretty much sums up the music industry from the point of view of some songwriters. No my point of view. I don't get money for songs. Not that I'm jealous. Whatever. The show is $4 and starts at 9 PM.

Slabtown is having a show with Westfold, Tall as Rasputin, and Old North. Westfold is a band that I have been watching since their inception. They are always evolving. Getting better. I have not seen them in a long time. I expect that they no longer play any songs that I recognize. I couldn't figure out if the band I found called Old North is the one playing tonight, but if it is then here is download to their album. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.

If you see me at any of these shows please say, "Hi".

-Ben


This was filmed when I saw Westfold play all the time. They are playing again tonight at Slabtown

No comments: